Friday, May 30, 2014

recipe: chewy ginger cookies

I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies but I don't usually have chocolate chips in the house unless I am planning on making something specific. That definitely poses a problem on those rainy afternoons when something sweet sounds extra yummy.  And no....I can't substitute raisins. Nothing is worse than biting into a oatmeal cookie and realizing that the chocolate chips are actually raisins. Gross.

So...we have been digging spice cookies lately and these are by far our favorite (so far).


Even Mr. I-don't-really-eat-sweets will gobble one up. Then the rest go to friends and I usually stock pile a few bags in the freezer just in case I need a sweet treat.



 I usually do.



After they came out of the oven, Little Man ate one right along side a cucumber. He must be his father's child.

Anyway, since I have come to grips that there is no possible way to have an enjoyable cookie-making-afternoon with a 22 month-old while taking pictures of each step of the recipe, you only get the final product and the recipe.

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 T. ground ginger (I know it seems like a ton, but trust me....they are delicious!)
2 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt
3 T. sugar (for rolling the cookies in)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Beat sugar and butter together until soft and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients (except 3 T. sugar) until mixed. 

Place 3 T. sugar in a small bowl. Form the dough into balls using about 1 T. of dough and roll in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. 

Bake 6-8 minutes (mine needed more like 8 minutes) until golden brown. Let rest on cookie sheet for a minute or two before placing on cooling racks (or in my case, napkins on the counter).

Makes about 3 dozen cookies

(Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Big Book of Cookies)

Enjoy!

 

And don't forget to check out all the wonderful places I party!

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds good. And I can't imagine why you have problems doing ALL of this with a 22 month old..LOL.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look so good, may have to try these. Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so chewy and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...